..."and a highway shall be there, and it shall be called the way of holiness; evil minded people shall not travel on it, but it shall be for those wayfarers who are traveling toward God. (Isaiah 35:8, adapted)



Friday, January 20, 2012

And the Cream of All My Heart I Will Bring Thee




King of Glorie, King of Peace,

I will love thee:

And that love may never cease,

I will move thee.



Thou hast granted my request,

Thou hast heard me:

Thou didst note my working breast,

Thou hast spar’d me.



Wherefore with my utmost art

I will sing thee,

And the cream of all my heart

I will bring thee.



Though my sinnes against me cried,

Thou didst cleare me;

And alone, when they replied,

Thou didst heare me.



Sev’n whole dayes, not one in seven,

I will praise thee.

In my heart, though not in heaven,

I can raise thee.



Thou grew’st soft and moist with tears,

Thou relentedst:

And when Justice call’d for fears,

Thou disentedst.



Small it is, in this poore sort

To enroll thee:

Ev’n eternitie is to short

To extoll thee.



The Temple: George Herbert 1633

photo taken in cathedral at Ludlow, England 

No comments: