..."and a highway shall be there, and it shall be called the way of holiness; evil minded people shall not travel on it, but it shall be for those wayfarers who are traveling toward God. (Isaiah 35:8, adapted)



Sunday, February 27, 2011

Julian of Norwich on Getting in Our Own Way


And when God Almighty had shown me some of His goodness so plentifully and completely,
I desired to learn whether a certain creature I loved continued in the good living I hoped had
begun by the grace of God. And it seemed that I got in my own way with this desire to
know about a particular person, for I received no teaching about it at this time. But then I
was answered in my reason, as it were, by a friendly advisor, "Take what you are shown as
general, and look at the courtesy of the Lord God as He shows it to you. For it is a great honor
to God for you to see Him in everything than in one, special thing.

I assented, and thus I learned that it is a greater honor to God for us to know all things in
general than to delight in any one thing in particular. And if I want to act wisely according
to this teaching, not only should I not be glad for any one thing specifically, I should  not be
greatly disturbed for any kind of thing, for all shall be well. The fullness of joy is to behold
God in everything, for by the same blessed power, wisdom and love that He made everything,
our  good Lord leads it to the same end continuously, will Himself bring it there, and when it
is time, we shall see it.

--Julian of Norwich, The Revelation of Divine Love, chapter 35.


photo taken in S. Deerfield, MA

4 comments:

Apron Senorita said...

This is so comforting. The thought that God wants us to see him in all things, not just one. The beautiful journey is about finding Him in all people.

Thanks for such a good post.
Yoli :)

Sherry Southard said...

Makes a person wonder why we fret so much knowing God is in control and all things will work out for our good and to His glory. This is a good reminder for me. Thanks

Pamela said...

"Fullness of joy" that's such a gift.

Charlotte said...

Good advice. Thank you for sharing it.
Blessings,
Charlotte